Always Fighting for the Love of My Life

Edward J. Demyan; Pancreatic Cancer Victim; Supported and written by MaryKaye Mackulin, who loved him.
RIP my sweet man ... 1963 - 2011





Friday, July 30, 2010

On our way to Surgery.....

Hi All,
Met with the Oncologist and the Surgeon yesterday, 7/29/10... Results were better than we anticipated by far. The tumor has shrunk, although they didn't say by how much, it was enough that the physicians feel Ed is ready to move on to daily targeted radiation with chemo... We were originally told that it would be atleast September before that would be a possiblity, so we are about one month ahead of what was expected. With Stage 3 Pancreatic cancer that is a BIG deal. The tumor is still pressing against one main artery, hopefully with the targeted radiation, the tumor will shrink away from that last artery and become operable. As I've stated before, the only way to have even a fighting chance with pancreatic tumors/cancer is for complete removal of the tumor and some of the surrounding area. We will meet with the radiation-oncologist hopefully next week. Right now he is on vacation and won't be back until Tuesday 8/3... However, Ed's Oncologist was e-mailing the radiation man yesterday and wants him to talk to Ed to get things moving immediately when he returns... So, starting next Tuesday a new plan of action will begin to be developed. Once Ed starts radiation, it will be on a daily basis with chemo still being once weekly... I don't know enough (yet) about radiation and what kind of a toll it will take on Mr. Fantastic, but know this, I will research my Ass off finding out. Oh, Ed now refers to himself as Mr. Fantastic because his body is working so well with treatment that what else could he be called. Ha. Lastly, the doctors took him off his daily chemo pill... They do not think the spot on his lung is cancer and appears that there has been NO spreading, also a huge big deal. If the cancer had metastasized, surgery would not be done, it would be considered "too late" to do antyhing. I realize I'm rambling but it is a very complicated and hateful cancer.

Anyway, the greatest thing he said to me last night right before I was finally calm enough to go to bed was this: "Looks like we can start to plan a wedding for next summer" Now, really, what man actually says that to a woman?! Wouldn't it be more like... "I think we should wait and see, maybe 4 or 5 more years, why rush into things" Ha. Looks like we'll be getting that french bull-dog, Hank, sooner than I thought!!! It is what I promised him when he hit remission. I'm NOT cleaning up after the dog, that's all I have to say about that.

Well, we are planning on celebrating big-time this weekend out at East Harbor and Monsoon Lagoon... Again, anyone interested in joining us is MORE than welcome at the Lagoon. We will probably be there from about Noon - 6 p.m. and then hit my Mom's cottage for the rest of the evening. Hopefully get out there tonight by 6 p.m. to get things ready for the Larkman's to join us - music, dinner & drinks on the deck tonight... Ed will be fishing until it's pitch black out - no doubt about that. He has been sorely deprived of his fishing time this summer and I miss reading my trashy novels...

Love to you all and please keep those prayers and good wishes coming... It seems to be working! XOXOXOXO MK & Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment will be reviewed prior to publication; all comments that are non-offensive will be published as submitted.