Always Fighting for the Love of My Life

Edward J. Demyan; Pancreatic Cancer Victim; Supported and written by MaryKaye Mackulin, who loved him.
RIP my sweet man ... 1963 - 2011





Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chemo Round 2 / Drip #3

Today is Chemo drip #3 in round 2 - hard to believe 2 months of chemo have been completed after today. At times it seems like this has been going on forever and other days it seems like the news was just given to us.

Ed will get next week off from Chemo, but should be starting a new prescription of Tarceva (erlotnib) today or tomorrow, depeding when it arrives. He is not happy about that, this med makes him feel like crap daily. With the chemo drip, he has about 36-48 hours of flu like symptoms and that he handles like a champ. He is my HERO every day! His attitude is excellent 99.99% of the time.

The next CT scan is schedules for 7/26 at 9:30 a.m. - our prayer is that his tumor has shrunk and that there has been no spreading and that surgery may become an option. I know that this is highly unlikely, but I pray for it daily. The only way to have a fighting chance with pancreatic cancer is to have it removed, then continue the fight with the rest of the body. It's entirely such a nasty and aggresive diesase. On the bright side, Ed is happy and feeling fairly well. We (well I) did yoga on Monday, Ed can only do a small number of the positions as to not promote organ cell growth, so I am sore - he is not! He had band practice on Tuesday and went fishing with Gus Ferrro last night - he's feeling pretty well!!!

Well - chemo is at 3 p.m., which means we will be downtown until atleast 5:30 p.m. They never start on time, they are usually so backed up by this time in the day that he is always pushed back... We may try and get his chemo changed to Friday mornings at 11 a.m., we did that after our Hershey trip and it worked so well. I also figure that would be a better time when snow starts to fly - Ugh. Hard to think about that when we've been having these incredibly hot days!

There is a book I need to get, off topic kinda, written by a woman with cancer in her 20's, a very severe form of Thyroid cancer... looks like a really good read for younger person's with cancer. Granted, we are not in our 20/30's, but we act like it most of the time, so I figure it would be beneficial. It's entitled "Everything changes, insiders guide to cancer in your 20s & 30s". Would like to pick that up at Borders, possibly tonight.

And finally, hoping to hit my Mom's cottage this weekend. We have not spent one weekend out there yet this summer with everything that has been going on, I miss it terribly. I usually am a nice brown-bear color by now and have read at least 4 or 5 novels - Nothing this year. I need about two weeks on a beach (or ship) with 4 good books and some ice-cold beer, then maybe I'd feel normal (well, normal for me).

Enjoy the rest of your July all.... pancan.org - Know it. Fight it. End it. xo

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all that and I am praying with you...I am sorry for all you are going through Ed and think of you daily...mom went through 3 rounds of recurring cancer and beat them all and they were aggressive, prayer, attitude and KNOWLEDGE all helped....God Bless and love you Eddie...and MK yeah we do all act like we are that age, that brought a smile to my face,...Ed is blessed to have you and vice versa...take care
    Chrissy Gerakis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris..... Everyone has been very supportive and every single prayer helps, I truly believe this. You tell that brother of yours that I'd love to see the two of you on 8/21 when Ed plays out with Newport in Lakewood! That'd be great!!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete

Comment will be reviewed prior to publication; all comments that are non-offensive will be published as submitted.